Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
Subject Topic: Botched Mic Audio Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mfitzgerald
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: May 20 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote mfitzgerald

We have proved a fresh install with LS 6.0.0.7 works flawlessly on each of the system configurations we have.

We have installed SP 3 for XP and have re-tested to ensure everything was running well.

Once we installed the AV program (Symantic v.10.1.5.5000 Scan Engine v.81.3.0.13) we experienced the botched audio exactly as we had from the beginning. Effectively reliably creating the issue we saw at the beginning of this post.

We are currently working on looking into different configurations for the AV to hopefully keep this from occurring. (i.e. "auto scan" and "file-system auto-protect," and anything else we can think of.)

Though we have disabled "auto scan" from running on the entire "C:\" drive just to test. This has helped but did not clear the audio completely. We are now looking into disabling the "file-system auto-protect" feature.

Can you give us some ideas on how and/or why an AV program or why this specific AV program would cause this problem? This could prove helpful in either resolving the issue or making a recommendation if we need to use a different AV application.

Thanks,
fitz
Back to Top View mfitzgerald's Profile Search for other posts by mfitzgerald Visit mfitzgerald's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: May 21 2009 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

Please excuse the delay in this response…

From your post on “19 May 2009 at 6:05pm”:

Yes, we would like to be kept up to date as you move forward – especially when you perform additional testing, etc. We never know when a “tid-bit” of information proves useful. Post any further info as you see fit.

From your post on “20 May 2009 at 5:55pm”;

You >>>
Once we installed the AV program (Symantic v.10.1.5.5000 Scan Engine v.81.3.0.13) we experienced the botched audio exactly as we had from the beginning. Effectively reliably creating the issue we saw at the beginning of this post.

<<< Support
Hmm… that is strange. Good work in isolating the issue to this point.

You >>>
Can you give us some ideas on how and/or why an AV program or why this specific AV program would cause this problem?

<<< Support

<Speculation>
I would have to guess that the Symantec anti virus install is probably hooking a myriad of various windows API interfaces in order to perform its protection. To what extent it sits in between application/processes and the windows API would take some work to know what exactly is getting hooked.

The anti virus guys have a difficult job when it comes to creating robust AV products that are not simply defeated by casual virus developers while at the same time remaining transparent to applications and the system as a whole. If after installing the AV software on a host we experience the “bothed audio”, then it definitely appears that something in the AV install has altered the audio record timing from multimedia hardware. Hmm……

However, even after installing the AV software, v6.0.0.12 of the media engine can be used to compenstate for what appears to be bad real time audio record timing.
</Speculation>

I will send you an email with additional comments regarding AV software.

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

mfitzgerald
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote mfitzgerald

Quick Questions.

The LS version we have now is a temporary engineering release. When is that set to expire? The end of this month?

We are hoping to roll out a version shortly, but not if it is going to expire in a number of days.

To that effect, do you have any word on a possible roll-out date for the full release?

Thanks,

fitz
Back to Top View mfitzgerald's Profile Search for other posts by mfitzgerald Visit mfitzgerald's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: May 28 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

The engineering release you have (v6.0.0.12) expires on 6-30-09.

We have one other enhancement to complete and then send the media engine through its QA testing. I think we should try to get you updated sometime in the next two weeks. If that is too long, let me know and we will try and adjust accordingly.

Either way, I will ping you when the next release is available for FTP download.

Best,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 04 2009 at 11:36am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

V6.0.0.12 of the VOIP Media Engine has been released. Let me know when you want to receive your updated product image.

Thank you,

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 04 2009 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

…my mistake, I should have read the previous post. We just updated your support FTP account with the latest product image.

Randal

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version