Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
Subject Topic: TerminateCall Deadlock Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jalal
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: February 16 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Jalal

Hi,

We are using v5.12.8.1 of LMEVoip in one of our customer sites. Sometimes when we are calling TerminateCall function at the end of call, our PhoneLine thread halts, and it never return from TerminateCall.

Here is exact parameters passed to TerminateCall:

TerminateCall(SipEngine,ChannelNumberInCard,True,3000)

I have noticed in our logs, and realized that this situation happens when we receive following PhoneLine Events before calling TerminateCall.

Code:

Phone Line Notification:SipByeReceived
Phone Line Notification:SipSendByeAck

TerminateCall ...

I think for some reasons LME can not change the state to SipCallComplete. And we can not receive this event.

I checked your version release history, and did not find any related issue to be solved.

Thanks,
Jalal
Back to Top View Jalal's Profile Search for other posts by Jalal Visit Jalal's Homepage

Jalal
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: February 16 2010 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Jalal

Sorry,

I forgot to tell that this situation happens rarely (about once or twice a day). And all other phonelines work correctly when one phone line halts on TerminateCall.

SIP Bye Ack is also sent perfectly by LME voip in above scenario.

Thanks,
Jalal
Back to Top View Jalal's Profile Search for other posts by Jalal Visit Jalal's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 18 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Jalal,

Thank you for your post.

What you describe sounds familiar. Early version 5.x.x.x media engines could experience terminate call deadlocks. Especially if running on multi-core host machines. I had one other customer that brought this to our attention quite a long time ago and we resolved it for them by having them upgrade to the latest Release 6 media engine. The Release 6 media engine has gone through a ton of multi-core testing and processor/memory scalability tests.

The Release 6 media engine product does not have these issues. It’s probably time to upgrade software seeing we are no longer back porting fixes and changes to v5 media engine code base.

Thank you,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

Jalal
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: February 22 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Jalal

Hi Randal,

As I mentioned earlier, I did not find any bug fix around this issue, in your version history. I also searched your forum and found following topic which points exactly to what we have experienced.

TerminateCall not returning (deadlock?)

It seems jmatthewsr has not tested your new version after this bug fix, to check if his problem is solved or not.

So we are not sure if we upgrade to your new version, our issue will be fixed.

I have talked with our manager, and he has accepted to buy your new version under following conditions:

1- You should fix any TerminateCall issue, if your new version would not solve it.

2- We should have at least 2 months free support, if we encounter any bugs in your new version.

3- I'm not sure, but I think I have read somewhere that you have changed your licencing terms for new version about yearly payments. We would not accept to buy any time limited version. I think it's better to sign a license agreement document before the purchase is done.

4- Upgarde to any next release of version 6 should be done with no charge at least for one year.

5- If I want to compare v6 and v5 of LMEVoip except RFC2833 support (which in my opinion is not complete yet), there is no new brilliant feature added to v6 (If I'm wrong please tell me). I know there have been many bug fixes, but from customer view always bug fixing is producer's duty. We have been waiting for SIP REFER support for Blind and Consult Transfers for more than 2 years. So when we are purchasing a new product's version after 3 years we expect this new version should at least afford some of our previous requirements. I think you agree with us that your SIP Bye Transfer method which is currently provided by LMEVoip is depricated, and is not supported by other SIP products any more. We want you to provide us SIP REFER support for both Blind and Consult Transfers within next 3 months.

Thanks,
Jalal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 23 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hello Jalal,

Thank you for your post.

Because you and I have been conversing for the past few years, I want to address each of your points of interest one at a time. Also, other readers of this support forum may find the information we share useful.

We do however have an issue that will have to be resolved if we are able to move forward (see the end of this post).

The support forum thread you indicate is from May 2008. Release 6 media engine was released in November 2008. Even though the version information may not specifically state that a “terminate call” deadlock issue was fixed, the v6.0.0.0 LME contained a large number of threading updates/fixes as they related to multi-core host machines. Prior to releasing the “Release 6” LME, we subjected it to heavy threading tests and ran it on the biggest multi-core host machines we could find (and afford). We resolved many threading and memory bottleneck issues at that time due to the multi-core testing.

Your points of interest:

Item 1:
Yes! If there is a “terminate call” issue, we would fix it and update you free.

Item 2:
I respectfully respond: You get the same free support as everyone else. One month free support is a “one time” offering for new customers. Upgrading does not reset this free month of support. If you need special support, we can enter into a support agreement – which is industry standard practice.

Item 3:
Yes, we would have to negotiate proper licensing depending on your needs. We can discuss details later if we are able to move forward.

Item 4:
Unfortunately you are asking for preferential treatment. The LS support agreement allows for these types of upgrades automatically.

Item 5:
I hope you take this in the good spirit that it is intended:
Supporting attended call transfer using REFER/NOTIFY is not a big deal. If you wanted this capability you could have worked with me on this issue long ago. This would not be an issue today if your company would support my company to a larger degree. In the Unites States, companies tend to work together in partnerships in an effort to build on the individual strengths of each entity. Customers that want everything for free – well, they have to wait until we get around to it. You know how much money you have spent with my company. I founded LS many years ago. All of the financing is personally out of pocket, from cash flow and from commercial lines of credit. We can’t respond to “customers” who do not support us. Go figure…   :)

Attended call transfer using REFER/NOTIFY will get into the media engine I am absolutely sure. Possibly sometime this year.

The big problem - Trade Sanctions:
We have a HUGE problem. There are trade sanctions in place that disallow LS from working with companies in your country. I am looking into what is the proper way to move forward if it is not unlawful to do so. Because of the current sanctions, we may not have any options regarding working with your fine group. It’s too bad Jalal.

Thanks,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 23 2010 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote support

Jalal,

We are not allowed to sell software into your country.

Thanks for your interest,

Randal

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version