Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

SIP Proxy and Media Proxy - Pre-Sales Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> SIP Proxy and Media Proxy - Pre-Sales Technical Support
Subject Topic: SIP Proxy Trial Problems Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 09 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

I've installed the media and SIP proxy trials on a Windows Server 2003 box (both were installed using the license manager on the same machine the software was installed on) and the installations look like they completed correctly.

The problem is while the media proxy software runs correctly, the SIP proxy software does not run. It does not show any window or any error messages, and is not present in the process list if I check it after running.

Any ideas?
Back to Top View friesenc's Profile Search for other posts by friesenc

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 09 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote support

Chris,

I will take a look at the install image and post back.

Hang on…

RJ

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 09 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged Quote friesenc

Thanks.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 09 2012 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote support

I see what occurred.

All the trial images on our server need to be updated. This trial timeout stuff “bites” us from time to time.

I will send you an updated Centrex proxy EXE file via email (attached as a ZIP file). That way you can proceed with evaluation.

The password for the ZIP file will be lssupport (all lower case).

Your media proxy and service manager trials should be OK.

RJ

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 09 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote friesenc

I have the software running and configured now but I am having trouble getting the media proxy to function correctly. When the media proxy is enabled I can see the correct log messages and packet inspection on my clients shows the RTP packets are being sent to the media proxy, however nothing is ever sent FROM the media proxy to the clients.

Additionally I can see that the media / sip proxy does not support latching, which is highly unfortunate. Depending on client STUN capability for NAT traversal isn't something that can work reliably for many clients.
(latching is a process in which the SIP proxy will check for local addresses (192.168.x.x, 10.x, etc.) in contact headers and replace them with the source IP address of the packet (the client's WAN IP address)).

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 09 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged Quote friesenc

I did get the NAT resolution to properly discover the client's IP address and that is all working well, however I am still unable to get the media proxy to forward proxied media packets to clients. The logs in the media proxy window show the correct addresses and ports, and packet inspection shows the clients are sending to the RTP packets to the media proxy, but nothing is ever sent from the media proxy.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 10 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote support

Possibly due to another config problem at the media proxy?

If your media proxy is registered with the SIP proxy (the “Media proxies online” in the sip proxy gui should show 1) and the media proxy logs the following for a call:

Session start (audio)
Session active (audio)
------------------- Media port allocated ---------------- (some udp port number)

…and if the media proxy is showing the proper UDP IP addresses and ports for the SIP clients, then everything should function.

Check to see if the media proxy is limiting media ports to even ports. You want to use even numbered UDP ports.
See Configure->Media proxy settings->Network configuration.

You should not need to set the media proxy WAN IP detection stuff. The SIP proxy will resolve the NAT issues with the SIP.

If Wireshark logs are showing that the SIP call setup is correct and that call audio media is being sent to the media proxy, then RTP packets should be flowing via the media proxy. If this is not the case, then something strange is going on.

RJ

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 10 2012 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

Am I supposed to see local addresses only in the media proxy log? I took out the WAN IP address configuration the media proxy settings as you said but the IP addresses look wrong in the logs. Here is an example exchange where no sound is heard:

Src UA(192.168.1.22:7944) <==> MediaProxy(10.1.0.155:16002) <==> Dest UA(10.1.1.137:17628)

In this exchange the 192.168.1.22 address is a SIP phone behind a home NAT router on the Internet, 10.1.0.155 is the internal address of the proxy server (the SIP and media proxies are on the same machine) and the 10.1.1.137 address is a SIP phone on the same internal network as the proxy server.

I've tried with and without the even numbered port setting in the proxy settings. The SIP proxy is configured with the appropriate WAN IP settings and port forwarding is properly configured, all SIP signaling is working perfectly in both directions (call initiations and terminations function properly in both directions).

Any ideas?

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 10 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote support

I’m glad you posted this new info.

The 192.168.1.22 is wrong. We should be seeing the WAN IP address of your home NAT router.

Did you get the "home" SIP client to successfully register with the LS Centrex proxy?

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 10 2012 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

Yes, it registers and all the SIP signaling is working correctly. It is only the media that is not being proxied properly.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 10 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote support

Does the SIP proxy show (NAT Detected) in the GUI event log when your natted SIP client registers?

If you do not see REGISTER events in the GUI event log, goto Configure->Proxy Server Settings->Event Logging and enable the "Registration requests" check box in the "Event to Log" group.

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 11 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote friesenc

It does show NAT detected when my client registers, along with the client's gobal IP, but then when I place a call I see the local address in the Media Proxy log instead of the global IP address of the client (which it properly showed in the SIP proxy log).

Perhaps most bafflingly, VERY occasionally and totally randomly (perhaps 1 in 50 calls) the media proxy will show the correct global IP address of the client and I can actually get audio on both ends.

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 11 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote friesenc

Is it possible to get some pre-sales support over the phone? If I am able to get this working reliably we will definitely purchase the Enterprise licenses for both the SIP and media proxy products.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote support

1)
On your NATted SIP client: Is it trying to use its WAN IP address in any of its SIP?

The SIP client should not know anything about its WAN IP address.

Post a SIP log of the call as seen by the LS SIP proxy. Do this by enabling the SIP file logging in the config settings on the LS SIP proxy.

If your SIP client is using its WAN IP address, that may be causing the issue. Make sure the SIP of the NATted SIP client is only aware of its private IP address. Do this by turning off STUN, ICE etc on the SIP client. There is no need for these capabilities.

2)
What is your SIP device at 192.168.1.22 behind the NAT?

Is it a soft phone, IP phone? IP phone manufacturer?

When initiating a call from the NATted SIP client, you should only see references to its WAN IP address in the LS SIP proxy and media proxies.

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

1)

I can see in the INVITE sent by the client that it is using it's WAN IP address in the SIP contact field, as well as in the SDP, which it must be obtaining using STUN or some other similar mechanism, however it has no options to turn it off.

2)

The client in this case is a SIP softphone running on an iPhone, but I've also tried a SIP softphone running on a desktop PC.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote support

Ok, try this:

Enable media proxying for all calls. Go to:

Configure->Media proxy support

and make sure all 4 check boxes on this page are enabled.

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 13 2012 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

They are all checked.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 13 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged Quote support

Chris,

Then it is some sort of SIP compatibility issue.

Post a SIP log so we can investigate further.

No phone support for a single sale. If you are going to purchase a large amount of software, that's a different story.

Note:
Please figure out a way for the SIP client to not use its WAN IP and your probably done. :)

RJ

friesenc
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 14 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote friesenc

I did eventually get it working; there were a number of problems, most notably we have a Fortigate routing appliance and it was "helpfully" rewriting outgoing SDPs attached to SIP invite packets and changing the ports.

Anyway, after working it all out I have calls working, but there are a few problems still:

1) With "split media" enabled, the media proxy fails to properly use the WAN IPs of clients. However, with split media disabled, the media proxy naively assumes that media will ALWAYS come from the same IP as the SIP signalling. This is a problem because I have call routes to another SIP proxy located on the internal network (in this case a Cisco Call Manager). Call Manager like all normal SIP proxies does not proxy media, which means the Centrex media proxy is confused about how to handle calls to and from endpoints that are sent to the CUCM.

2) The Centrex proxy fails to understand call routing for SIP BYE messages. I can place a call that uses a call route to my Cisco Call Manager and the call is initiated properly, but when I hang up the Centrex proxy server returns a 404 not found to my registered client and consequently my client hangs up, but the endpoint reached through the CUCM still thinks the call is in progress.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version