Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
Subject Topic: Applications quit immediately Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Geoff Day
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: January 03 2010 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote Geoff Day

Hi since 1st Jan my LanScape apps won't run - when I start
them (my own or the sample apps) they launch but quit
immediately. I'm definitely using the same licence file as
before. Could there be some problem with the new year date
change? Thanks.
Back to Top View Geoff Day's Profile Search for other posts by Geoff Day

davidpeek
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: January 03 2010 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote davidpeek

I'm also having this problem with the sample. In addition I created a new project using VS2005 (and VS2008) and as soon as I include the file LanScapeVME.vb into the project my development environment crashes! (never seen this before).
Back to Top View davidpeek's Profile Search for other posts by davidpeek

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: January 05 2010 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote support

David and Geoff,

Thanks for the heads up – I will look into this immediately.

I really dislike the fact that we have to time bomb these trials…….

I will post again very soon.

Thank you,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

Geoff Day
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: January 05 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote Geoff Day

Hi Randal,

Some other SDK providers have trials which don't expire but
they limit the calls to maybe 1 minute per call, or limit
functionality in some other way. Just a thought...
Back to Top View Geoff Day's Profile Search for other posts by Geoff Day

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: January 05 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hello Geoff,

Your suggestion sounds like a good idea. We may have to consider it.

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: January 05 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote support

David and Geoff:

You two are the only ones that are affected by this trial time-out “snafu”. It has to do with when we issued your trials and when the latest trial product images were built before the end of this year. It is my mistake. We have the latest trial product images built and we will update you using your FTP support accounts as soon as we can (it will get done before the end of today). I will post back to this thread when the FTP download images are in place.

David:
I will look into VS2005/VS2008 loading of the vb.NET license file. I will also post to this thread the results. We have not seen what you are describing but will verify anyway.

Thank you,

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: January 05 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hello David,

Regarding compiling VB .NET samples on Vista – there appears to be a bug in the Microsoft Vb.NET compiler – only on Vista.

I tested the media engine “simple make call” Vb.NET sample using Visual Studio 2008 on Windows XP pro SP3, Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate – all 32 bit OSes.

The only combination that (sometimes) failed was VS2008 on Vista. I would not always get a vb.NET/IDE crash – only sometimes. For this case it seems Vb.NET + Visa is not stable. I did not perform testing using VS2005.

There seems to be a bug with the Vb.NET compiler when it handles the defined byte license data in module LanScapeVME.vb. If you break the license data into 2 parts, the crash goes away.

I have created a ZIP file in your support FTP account named “Vb sample.zip”. Download it and open the “SimpleMakeCall VS2008.sln” solution file.

This Vb.NET project uses a modified trial license file named “License.vb”. The trial license data (same as yours) has been cut into two byte arrays. The Vb.NET compiler under Vista seems to handle this OK without crashing.

To see how to use the two part license data byte arrays, see the “Module1.vb” main module. Look for the SOLVE_VB_NET_VISTA_BUG constant that is being use to conditionally compile the module.

When using the two part trial license file, make sure to define the LicenseData3 byte array in your app at the module level so it persists as long as your app executes. See the sample in the zip file.

I will email you tomorrow to discuss a support agreement between LS and your group. If your VOIP project is crutial to your success, you will want to have better access to my time in order to work with me closer. That way issues like this will not impact your VOIP development and project success.

Thank you,

Randal

davidpeek
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: January 06 2010 at 6:37am | IP Logged Quote davidpeek

Hi Randal,
Outstanding work!

I also suspected a bug in Vista. I ran XP Pro yesterday and I could not recreate the problem. I'm ordering a Windows 7 machine today. In the meantime your solution keeps me in the game until my new machine arrives...Thank you! We will be making some final choices on SDKs this week, the support you provided here is a major influence towards my choice that's for sure! I'll be in touch soon. Thanks again.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: January 06 2010 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote support

Hello David,

Thank you for your follow-up post and your kind words.

I will email you off-line so we can discuss possible support options and a few other items I would like to discuss with you. I know it sounds like a sales pitch, but your success is very important to us.

Thank you,

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 02 2010 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote support

To all:

I wanted to post additional information regarding Visual Studio 2008 (VS200) crashing on Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 64 bit operating systems.

There is definitely something going on with VS2008 when running the IDE under Vista 64 bit and Win7 64 bit.

If you open the “SimpleMakeCall VS2008.sln” that is used for the simple vb.NET sample app that comes with the media engine, the VS2008 IDE crashes immediately. I am not sure why it is doing this. I am testing on Win7 64 bit but this same things seems to occur on Vista 64 bit also.

Here are the steps to reproduce the crash:
1) Open VS2008 on Win7 64 bit.
2) Open the vb.NET solution “SimpleMakeCall VS2008.sln”
3) The IDE will crash immediately.

After the crash, I inspected the “application log” in event viewer and saw two Error events:

Error event 1:
Code:

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 9.0.30729.1, time stamp: 0x488f2b50
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbdf
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x64c
Faulting application start time: 0x01caa41219e258e0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 5a6611f4-1005-11df-a8f3-000c2970396d

and …

Error event 2:
Code:

The remote debugger is unable to communicate with Visual Studio, and must abort the remote debugging session.
Please restart debugging.

We are trying to locate a solution for this crash issue.

It is worth noting that:

1)
The vb.NET solution and code builds and functions as expected on XP (32 and 64 bit) and on Vista (32 bit). Win7 32 bit has not been tested for this issue as of yet.

2)
VOIP Media Engine managed C# code samples all function as expected.

Thank you,

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 02 2010 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote support

Update:

To remove the error event that says:

“The remote debugger is unable to communicate with Visual Studio, and must abort the remote debugging session. Please restart debugging.”

…make sure the remote debugger service (Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger) is set to Automatic and started (using the Local system account)

Thanks,

Randal

davidpeek
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 02 2010 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote davidpeek

Update: I'm able to load the project if it contains the modified License file (broken apart). However, it won't execute the line of code that attempts to combine the two part license.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 02 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote support

Hello David,

I am testing using Win7 64 bit and VS2008 SP1.

Yes - I am also able to load the vb.NET project as well using the single license file but only if the total number of license byte array elements are reduced.

It appears there is a bug or limitation relating to the size of a public byte array in vb.NET when running on Win7 64 bit. If you reduce the total number of bytes in the byte array (that is the LS license data), everything builds properly and the IDE crashes do not occur. Unfortunately, we can’t run a VOIP app without the proper license/microcode data.

I have reviewed the Microsoft VS2008 hotfixes that are currently published but do not see a fix that relates to this array/IDE crash issue.

Still need to keep looking into this…

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 02 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote support

It looks like the IDE crash in VS2008 is definitely associated with the LS vb.NET license file.

I create a new vb.NET form app and simply included the LS license file. The VS2008 IDE promptly crashed on Win7 64 bit.

This new form app did not reference anything from the LS media engine install. It only used a copy of the vb.NET license file from the install.

Hmmm…..

Randal

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 04 2010 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote support

To all who read this thread:

David and I have been performing quite a bit of testing using Visual Studio 2008 (VS2008) on Windows 7 - 64 bit (Win7-64). There seems to be a few issues with running VS2008 on Win7-64. Apparently some of the VS2008 issues are also present on Vista-64 too. Hmm… Microsoft says that VS2008 is Win7 compatible…

Issue 1 – vb.NET media engine license file load crash:
For some reason, when using Win7-64, VS2008’s IDE can not load the vb.NET LanScape license file. If it does, the IDE crashes.

Note:
For anyone not familiar with the LS license/microcode files – the files simply declare a public byte array that is required to run your licensed copy of the media engine.

There is nothing special about the license/microcode files. The defined byte arrays are 36708 bytes in length and are nothing special.

Issue 2 – Native code breakpoints:
The other issue that was noticed was that native code breakpoints in VS2008 running on Win7-64 causes problems. Breakpoint issues are severe enough that you cannot properly debug a native code VOIP app. We are not sure why this is occurring.

I was not able to find any VS2008 hotfix for the vb.NET file load crash so this is a bit of a mystery.

It looks like there are a few debugger related hotfixes available from Microsoft to address debugger behavior – but we are not taking the time to see if they work or not.

LanScape Recommendation – VS2010 Beta2 andWin7-64:
For all customers who need to develop their media engine VOIP applications on Win7-64, please use “Visual Studio 2010 Beta2”. It is available from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx

We have used and tested VS2010 Beta2 on Win7-64 and it appears that it functions as expected. None of the above two issues were experienced when using VS2010 and Win7-64 as the development environment.

The LanScape VOIP media engine code samples that come with the media engine distribution will be updated to support VS2010 when Microsoft releases it to manufacturing (RTM).

Thank you,

Randal

davidpeek
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 07 2010 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote davidpeek

VS2008 on Win7-64 works for me if I break up the license/microcode into two parts. Due to some other issues in VS2010 where I am having trouble compiling forms for the .NET 2.0 environment I am not able to use VS2010. I was able to take this same project and run it in debug mode on a Vista 32bit with success.
-=Dave

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: February 08 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote support

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the additional information.

Lets discuss this development tool issue later today when we have our R+D conference call.

Randal

davidpeek
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: February 09 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote davidpeek

One more peice of information regarding VS2008 32bit and running inside the debugger. For my environment I needed to copy the LMEVoip.dll into the <project>/bin/Debug in order to instantiate the LME in order for it to stop quiting out. -=Dave

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version