Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Technical Support
Subject Topic: SCCP Support - Cisco "skinny" Protocol Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mfitzgerald
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: June 17 2009 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote mfitzgerald

I probably already know the answer to this. But, is LS capable of supporting SCCP. If not, how much trouble would it be to implement support for this?

I'm certain it is no simple task, then again I'm on the outside looking in.

I'm wondering about this specifically regarding Cisco's implementation of SCCP (in case there are any proprietary inconsistencies between their implementation and more general/standard versions).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinny_Client_Control_Protocol

Back to Top View mfitzgerald's Profile Search for other posts by mfitzgerald Visit mfitzgerald's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

Thanks for your post.

Does the media engine support SCCP (Cisco’s “skinny” protocol)?
Not at this time (the current voip media engine version at the time of this post is v6.0.0.14).

If not, how much trouble would it be to implement support for this?
Cisco’s skinny protocol is lightweight and simple. We understand how it is used and deployed in Cisco Call Manager deployments. The VOIP media engine could use skinny for its call functions instead of SIP. How much work/time this would take to implement is a bit tough to say at this point. It is possible though.

From a technical standpoint, handling the raw skinny protocol would be fairly straight forward to implement. Interfacing the skinning protocol handling with the current internal call logic in the media engine would take the majority of the development effort.

As far as I know, Cisco has kept the skinny protocol proprietary to themselves and do not publish a spec unless you are a Cisco “partner”. That being said, there has been enough reverse engineering performed that there are various documented sources via the web regarding the skinny protocol (as per your Wikipedia link discusses). If you know of any complete available skinny specification, please let me know. Maybe its time to contact Cisco and nicely ask for a skinny spec.

If skinny protocol support is something we could supply to your group, we would be interested in performing the work. I suspect we would have to perform the work on a contract basis and then only offer this custom media engine version exclusively to your group.

Feel free to post additional info or anything else to this thread. I am specifically curious regarding the skinny call functions you would like supported.

Let me know if I have missed something.

Best,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

mfitzgerald
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: June 18 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote mfitzgerald

I don't know if this could prove helpful.

open source
http://oreka.sourceforge.net/about/features

pay site
http://www.orecx.com/web/

Granted we would certainly need a developers contract.

Thanks for the info.
Back to Top View mfitzgerald's Profile Search for other posts by mfitzgerald Visit mfitzgerald's Homepage

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

Here's another link that may be useful:
http://www.realtime-
unifiedcommunications.com/voip/2006/06/a_look_at_cisco_skin
ny_client.htm
Back to Top View gcamp0730's Profile Search for other posts by gcamp0730

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: June 18 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

(Trying again; Google Chrome doesn't paste links correctly... )

http://www.realtime-unifiedcommunications.com/voip/2006/06/a _look_at_cisco_skinny_client.htm

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Fitz,

Thanks for the links! I will be sure to take a closer look at the end of today.

Dev agreement – you bet. If we were to work together on this, I would keep it as simple as possible.

Thank you,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

…are you back with Fitz’s group or are you working with some other company?

Anyway, its good to hear from you.

Randal

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

Hi Randal,

No, I'm still with another company. But I stay in touch with all the dev guys and we bounce ideas back-and-forth (like this one).

I'm still looking for an app in this new company that would be a good fit for the LS engine. They are primarily a Linux shop, so it might be a bit more difficult to find the fit. But I'll definitely let you know as soon as I'm able to find that niche!

Greg.

mfitzgerald
Vetran
Vetran

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote mfitzgerald

(off topic I know)

BTW... I believe LS is working on a linux friendly version of their MediaEngine.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: June 18 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the heads up. Being the small group that we are (LanScape), all business/opportunities are tremendously appreciated.

Hi Fitz,

You are exactly correct. We are working (in the shadows) to get the media engine onto Linux. We are currently testing on Debian hosts (Ubuntu server and Desktop). We have a build that is running on Ubuntu but we need to change a few things in the native code before we can release such a beast. I am glad you brought this up.

Best,

Randal

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version